libgda .... Re: GnuCash page on GO site

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Fri Mar 5 09:59:17 CST 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 07:00:10PM +0100, Rodrigo Moya was heard to remark:
> On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 11:11 -0600, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> >
> > The API that we use for database acesss is "QOF".
> >
> yes, but then, QOF, what does it use to directly access the DB? native
> postgres/mysql libraries? odbc?

Yes. The xml data access is through a stack-based progressive scanner
build on top of libxml.  Its overkill for out needs, it was
really meant for xml-rpc-like parsing which is how we were going
to make QOF be network-distributed.

We don't support mysql because mysql doesn't have the features
that we need.

ODBC was designed by a moron who doesn't know C programming.
ODBC is a great example of how not to design an API.

libdbi.sourceforge.net is great for low-level bits-n-bytes access
to sql db's.  Its easy-to-use, small, fast, well-designed.
A great example of how to design a low-level API correctly.

If libgda is using native postgres/mysql api's for its server
providers, you might want to look at using libdbi if you haven't
done so.  It does everything the native libpg does, and it has
drivers for other sql db's too.  I dunno, I have not really used
libdbi extensively yet, it may have faults I haven't discovered.

--linas