G-Wrap, helping out on the G2 port

Andreas Rottmann a.rottmann at gmx.at
Wed Mar 17 10:57:21 CST 2004

Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> writes:

> Andreas Rottmann <a.rottmann at gmx.at> writes:
>
>> I don't have currently a real plan for what will come in 1.6; most
>> probably 1.6 will be mostly source-compatible to 1.4, but excluding
>> the GLib bindings and having a few new features. 1.8 (or 2.0, since
>> that is a really major change) will base upon my TNG work; at least
>> this is my rough development plan.
>
> Well, we still need bindings for glists, gslists, and a few other glib
> features (which I can't think of at the moment).  It would be NICE if
> g-wrap 1.4 at least maintained this.

It will.

> (but perhaps built against glib-2 instead of glib-1.2).

You'll have to talk this over with Rob.

>> I did expect this ;). However, Guile-GObject will most probably join
>> the Gnome Platform Bindings[0] for GNOME 2.8, and then we'll have
>> strict requirements[1] on both release schedule and API stability.
>
> Gnucash always delays dependencies, so that means we wont release
> anything that uses this until at least 6 months later (or more).  But
> for gnome-2.8 you're talking at least a year away from now, so that's
> not something on the gnucash-2 radar.

See my other mail - I don't really have any idea what the Gnome2 port
status is and how long it is expected to take until a release. I
probably *will* play around with making GnuCash use Guile-GObject,
however. I'll announce any significant progress, maybe someone will be
interested and have a look at it. How is the general view on having a
playfield area to experiment with stuff like that? I have made a
Arch[0] "mirror" of the GnuCash GNOME2 CVS branch, so have a
convinient sandbox and will use that to test (and fix in case of
problems) GnuCash with the bleeding edge (GNOME 2.6, as soon as it
hits Debian unstable, Guile CVS, SLIB 3 (which breaks GnuCash, easy
fix though), ...).

BTW: Is there any page that documents all the GnuCash rules
wrt. dependencies and related stuff, e.g. what dependencies GnuCash 2
will have?

> While I'm very happy to see g-wrap development progressing, it's at a
> point where I'd like to see gnucash's dependency on gnome get reduced.

Well, Guile-GObject will be split into core (including GLib/GObject
stuff) and other modules, like GTK+ (in fact this a requirement to
fulfill the Platform Bindings rules), so you would only have to depend
on the core of Guile-GObject (which will be renamed into Guile-GNOME
in the future).

Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty at ICQ      | 118634484 at ICQ | a.rottmann at gmx.at