G-Wrap, helping out on the G2 port

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 17 11:18:25 CST 2004

Andreas Rottmann <a.rottmann at gmx.at> writes:

>> (but perhaps built against glib-2 instead of glib-1.2).
>>
> You'll have to talk this over with Rob.

IMHO, any releases of g-wrap > 1.3.4 should use the gnome2/gtk2/glib2
interfaces.  Gnucash only cares about glib; we don't use any gtk/gnome
interfaces directly from scheme.

> BTW: Is there any page that documents all the GnuCash rules
> wrt. dependencies and related stuff, e.g. what dependencies GnuCash 2
> will have?

Not yet.  The g2 port is still underway.  Once we get closer to
actually finishing we might actually have a better idea of what we're
going to depend on.  At this point I suspect gnome-2.2, gtkhtml-3..
But we may wind up delayed enough that depending on gnome-2.4 is
reasonable.  I don't know for sure.

>> While I'm very happy to see g-wrap development progressing, it's at a
>> point where I'd like to see gnucash's dependency on gnome get reduced.

Er, this should have read "gnucash's dependency on GUILE".  Sorry.

> Well, Guile-GObject will be split into core (including GLib/GObject
> stuff) and other modules, like GTK+ (in fact this a requirement to
> fulfill the Platform Bindings rules), so you would only have to depend
> on the core of Guile-GObject (which will be renamed into Guile-GNOME
> in the future).

Oh, great, so now I get to un-confuse people about the old guild-gnome
from the NEW guile-gnome??  *sighs*