Search engine

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Thu May 6 17:56:43 EDT 2004

On Thursday 06 May 2004 10:37, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:
> > There's a demo page (plain HTML, not search function) here:
> > http://www.codehelp.co.uk/code/test.html
>
> A couple of comments (some on the CSS, some on the interface):

I spotted a few and I've just uploaded a new file.

> 4) once you have many many years of archives it could lead to a LOT
>    of checkboxes.  Perhaps it would just be better to provide a
>    start-date and end-date to limit the searches?

OK. Say defaulting to the last 3 or 4 years.

> 5) how do you specify which list(s) you're searching?

Later, later!

> 7) The font/size selection in the sidebar is different than the website.

Try that again, it's the same in Konqueror. However, there is a reason for any
change. Linus uses fixed font sizes using font tags. These are deprecated by
W3C and fixed font sizes cause problems for disabled / poor sighted visitors
who then scale the text size manually. The strict format uses proportional
font sizes - relative to the preferred font size in the browser preferences.
Mozilla might be setting the default a little small.

> > As the final script will be on a different server, all I've done is
> > amended the absolute references in the links into full URL links to
> > www.gnucash.org so the translation and news/sidebar links work.
>
> We might need some script to be able to download the sidebar from the
> main server and place it on the alternate server..  Or perhaps the
> search interface should live on www and the results on lists?
> I'm not sure.

I'm sure I can solve that. Just need Linus' comments on the refreshed page.

--

Neil Williams