search engine

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon May 10 06:04:23 EDT 2004

On Sunday 09 May 2004 5:36, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:
> > links to the search script
> > from lists.gnucash.org and www.gnucash.org.
>
> I can link to it from the lists top-level page.  We'll have to wait for
> Linas or Chris to deal with www.

Thanks.

Rather than a link from
http://lists.gnucash.org/
which can't be reached directly using the existing links from www.gnucash.org,
would it be possible to put a link in these pages?

http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/

in the top section where it currently says:
The gnucash-user Archives

You can get more information about this list.

etc. It could be:
The gnucash-user Archives
archives</a>.

I've updated the search page to set the default list in the initial form when
a link specifies an archive but no termstring.
Like this:
The presence of any terms starts a search using defaults to fill any empty
fields. (Full list of defaults on the search-tips page).

These are the pages that visitors will go to for access to the archives, it'd
be nice to have a link to the search engine for each one.

Alternatively, a simple form could be put into the same archive index page
that lists all the months that would search the most recent messages with the
term(s) entered.

For gnucash-devel:
<form method="get" action="../../search/?archive=gnucash-devel"
enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded"><div>
etc., one per archive.

Add &abstract=on to the action string to have the abstracts (quite helpful).
The search will then take defaults for the start month, current, and the span
of 2 months in total - so it'll search the current month + the immediate
previous month.

The search results page has the links for a new search using the full option
list, should the visitor want a different search.

If you want one link for each month, much like the Thread Subject Author Date
links, I can use &month=4&year=2003 etc. - digital entries only, with no
leading zeroes and 4 digit years, not 2. Just let me know and I'll add the
functionality - it's not in yet. You could also use multiple forms - one for
each month - that use the syntax above or hidden input fields to add month
and year to the action querystring and an input for the text. Thereagain,
that's probably overkill.

:-))

--

Neil Williams