[gnome-db] DWI, QOF and gnome-db

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at gnome-db.org
Sun Nov 7 07:35:17 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 18:50 -0500, Daniel Espinosa wrote:
> Has anyboddy take a look at DWI and QOF eforts, and
> may to use the ones into the gnome-db framework?
>
> I think the idea to have a "configuration-file" to
> forms and the dependences between the widgets it
> great!, in the case of DWI is that, but need support
> for DataSources, then GDA (http://www.gnome-db.org/)
> can be good to support more than ODBC or libdbi can.
>
> Both use GObject to work then may be can use one
> characteristic of each one, to form a great plataform
> to develop applications in a simple form (in
> "configuration-files" may using XML).
>
> Ofcourse QOF, will be an important part of all, and
> may all parts: DWI, QOF, GDA and GNOME-DB, work to
> have a powerfull framework to create a rich and full
> futured forms applications.

we tried some time ago to come up with some merging plans with QOF and
DWI (apart from our other projects, like bond, mergeant, etc), but
dealing with QOF/DWI maintainer was a bit difficult, since his "software
is the best and the rest is bad" :)

So, we'll merge only mergeant, bond, libgda/libgnomedb, which is the
projects that we control. Of course, I've got nothing against doing some
combined effort with QOF/DWI and any other free project, but after the
experience last time, I'd prefer not to lose our precious time in
useless discussions about whose software is better.

What we can do is finish our bond/mergeant/libgda integration and then
try again, if you want, to merge with QOF/DWI. But I wouldn't hold my
breath for that
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo at gnome-db.org>