[gnome-db] DWI, QOF and gnome-db

Daniel Espinosa esodan at yahoo.com.mx
Mon Nov 8 07:34:30 EST 2004

 --- Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo at gnome-db.org> escribió:
> On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 18:50 -0500, Daniel Espinosa
> wrote:
> > Has anyboddy take a look at DWI and QOF eforts,
> and
> > may to use the ones into the gnome-db framework?
> >
> > I think the idea to have a "configuration-file" to
> > forms and the dependences between the widgets it
> > great!, in the case of DWI is that, but need
> support
> > for DataSources, then GDA
> (http://www.gnome-db.org/)
> > can be good to support more than ODBC or libdbi
> can.
> >
> > Both use GObject to work then may be can use one
> > characteristic of each one, to form a great
> plataform
> > to develop applications in a simple form (in
> > "configuration-files" may using XML).
> >
> > Ofcourse QOF, will be an important part of all,
> and
> > may all parts: DWI, QOF, GDA and GNOME-DB, work to
> > have a powerfull framework to create a rich and
> full
> > futured forms applications.
> >
> we tried some time ago to come up with some merging
> plans with QOF and
> DWI (apart from our other projects, like bond,
> mergeant, etc), but
> dealing with QOF/DWI maintainer was a bit difficult,
> since his "software
> is the best and the rest is bad" :)
>
> So, we'll merge only mergeant, bond,
> libgda/libgnomedb, which is the
> projects that we control. Of course, I've got
> nothing against doing some
> combined effort with QOF/DWI and any other free
> project, but after the
> experience last time, I'd prefer not to lose our
> precious time in
> useless discussions about whose software is better.
>
> What we can do is finish our bond/mergeant/libgda
> integration and then
> try again, if you want, to merge with QOF/DWI. But I
> wouldn't hold my
> breath for that
> --
> Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo at gnome-db.org>

I don't know wich software is better, and don't want
to know who, but the point a see is could be a good
'tool' to have an XML representations of forms to load
pre-generated desings (may be done with bond), this
will be a usefull for peaple like me that need a lot
of forms in a specific task. May in the feature (with
the port of gnome-db to Win32 or other plattaform) you
can load this forms in a plataform independient way.

In the port of gnome-db to Win32, I suggest to have a
#if - #endif clusures to eliminate the dependencies to
GNOME (like GConf), becouse the gnome-db library is
basicaly based in GTK!

=====

Trabajar es la mejor arma para tu superación.