[gnome-db] DWI, QOF and gnome-db

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at gnome-db.org
Mon Nov 8 10:06:59 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 06:07 -0600, Daniel Espinosa wrote:
>  --- Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo at gnome-db.org> escribió:
> > On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 18:50 -0500, Daniel Espinosa
> > wrote:
> > > Has anyboddy take a look at DWI and QOF eforts,
> > and
> > > may to use the ones into the gnome-db framework?
> > >
> > > I think the idea to have a "configuration-file" to
> > > forms and the dependences between the widgets it
> > > great!, in the case of DWI is that, but need
> > support
> > > for DataSources, then GDA
> > (http://www.gnome-db.org/)
> > > can be good to support more than ODBC or libdbi
> > can.
> > >
> > > Both use GObject to work then may be can use one
> > > characteristic of each one, to form a great
> > plataform
> > > to develop applications in a simple form (in
> > > "configuration-files" may using XML).
> > >
> > > Ofcourse QOF, will be an important part of all,
> > and
> > > may all parts: DWI, QOF, GDA and GNOME-DB, work to
> > > have a powerfull framework to create a rich and
> > full
> > > futured forms applications.
> > >
> > we tried some time ago to come up with some merging
> > plans with QOF and
> > DWI (apart from our other projects, like bond,
> > mergeant, etc), but
> > dealing with QOF/DWI maintainer was a bit difficult,
> > since his "software
> > is the best and the rest is bad" :)
> >
> > So, we'll merge only mergeant, bond,
> > libgda/libgnomedb, which is the
> > projects that we control. Of course, I've got
> > nothing against doing some
> > combined effort with QOF/DWI and any other free
> > project, but after the
> > experience last time, I'd prefer not to lose our
> > precious time in
> > useless discussions about whose software is better.
> >
> > What we can do is finish our bond/mergeant/libgda
> > integration and then
> > try again, if you want, to merge with QOF/DWI. But I
> > wouldn't hold my
> > breath for that
> > --
> > Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo at gnome-db.org>
> >

> I don't know wich software is better, and don't want
> to know who, but the point a see is could be a good
> 'tool' to have an XML representations of forms to load
> pre-generated desings (may be done with bond), this
> will be a usefull for peaple like me that need a lot
> of forms in a specific task. May in the feature (with
> the port of gnome-db to Win32 or other plattaform) you
> can load this forms in a plataform independient way.

right. The idea then is to continue with the merging of
bond/mergeant/libgnomedb then. Once that is done we can look at trying
to merge/integrate with other tools.

> In the port of gnome-db to Win32, I suggest to have a
> #if - #endif clusures to eliminate the dependencies to
> GNOME (like GConf), becouse the gnome-db library is
> basicaly based in GTK!

right, we already do that, compiling only the things that are GTK on
Windows, and the rest on Linux. With some recent additions that might
not be the case, but it is an easy fix.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo at gnome-db.org>