Extending GnuCash by the use of plugins

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 7 08:12:15 EDT 2004

Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:

>> Is GnuCash extensible by the use of plugins?
>
> GnuCash is modular, but not plugable. Learn the modules and send in a patch.

That's not completely true.  The business features are all run-time
configured into the engine, which shows that it _IS_ run-time
pluggable.  However there's not a good way for users to create new
plugins and get them loaded at runtime.

>> Can someone please explain me what is Scheme used for in GnuCash?
>
> Generating the reports, amongst other things.
> "Various bits and pieces that help glue together the various components are
> written in Scheme"
> (n.b. there's a typo on the website: peices[sic])
> http://www.gnucash.org/en/architecture.phtml

FTR, "Scheme" is a programming language..  See
   http://swiss.csail.mit.edu/projects/scheme/