gnucash gnome2/Gtk2 Windows

marthter marthter at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 16 02:51:58 EDT 2005

Hi,

Long-time lurker (several years) but I've been off the list since last
fall.  This is not 100% on topic but moreso here than the users list I
think...

I recently stumbled on Gimp for Windows http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net
) and was impressed with how stable it was and how close to the Linux UI
it came.  Before installing it, you have to install "GTK+ 2 for Windows"
(also on the same site) so I guess that is what gives them a lot of the
infrastructure they need.

My question is how relevant might this be for GnuCash in the future?  I
understand about the Gnome 2 port still progressing (and having to go
gradually, in parallel with feature and bug development), but I'm
thinking about when that is done... Will there still be a lot of other
GnuCash dependencies that have no "GTK+ 2 for Windows" equivalent?

I also understand there might be reluctance to invest work to support a
dying platform like Windows, but there are some people who have to stick
with it for very specific features of certain programs.  I'm thinking of
a friend of mine who spends all day replying to e-mail and needs this
one certain e-mail feature or his productivity is shot, and I just can't
find anything comparable in Linux to recommend to him.  So if I can't
bring him to GnuCash (Linux), maybe I can bring GnuCash to him on Windows.

So, yes, at the moment this is just one person's itch, but if I don't
ask, I can't tell how many others might be interested, short term, long
term, or no term.  And if I don't ask the advice of the developers who
know, I'll can't tell if it would be in the least bit feasible, or if it
would be a monumental and/or doomed-to-fail thing to even attempt.

Thanks for your attention.

Regards.

Martin