gnucash gnome2/Gtk2 Windows

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sat Apr 16 10:22:20 EDT 2005

On Saturday 16 April 2005 7:51 am, marthter wrote:
> I also understand there might be reluctance to invest work to support a
> dying platform like Windows,

Any perceived reluctance is more likely due to a distinct lack of a Windows
based developer! There'll be no GnuCash on Windows until someone is willing
to run Windows, find *and solve* the problems.

> but there are some people who have to stick
> with it for very specific features of certain programs.

VMWare / WINE  - there are other solutions.

(i.e. install GNU/Linux and use WINE for the one application or use VM and
install both OS with no need to reboot.) WINE is free, VM is not.

> I'm thinking of
> a friend of mine who spends all day replying to e-mail and needs this
> one certain e-mail feature or his productivity is shot,

?? I guess this is some Exchange mediated gimmick, there's very little that
you can do with email that cannot be done on any OS. It sounds like there may
be a hidden or unwitting disquiet about moving to GNU/Linux and this may just
be the wrapper.

> and I just can't
> find anything comparable in Linux to recommend to him.  So if I can't
> bring him to GnuCash (Linux), maybe I can bring GnuCash to him on Windows.

> So, yes, at the moment this is just one person's itch,

My work started as that - the problem is that it will stay as precisely this
unless the person WITH the itch gets into the code and does something about
it. AFAICT, there's no-one in the current GnuCash team with the desire,
motivation or background to spend significant amounts of time on a Windows
version. Most of the developers may have at least some coding experience on
Windows but I guess the fact that they are all now here means they didn't
exactly like the experience!!

> but if I don't
> ask, I can't tell how many others might be interested, short term, long
> term, or no term.

Don't concentrate exclusively on this one person - this may be an excuse or
s/he may simply be unwilling to invest the time in learning / creating their
own implementation of this gimmick outside Windows.

> And if I don't ask the advice of the developers who
> know, I'll can't tell if it would be in the least bit feasible, or if it
> would be a monumental and/or doomed-to-fail thing to even attempt.

Not impossible - almost anything is possible within GnuCash, it's a simple
matter of programming - but there could be lots of surprises. I can't tell, I
haven't given it any consideration and AFAICT, it's only received cursory
attention in the archives. Yes, the G2 port should make things easier but as
that isn't finished yet, it's hard to tell if there will be parts of G2 that
won't port easily to Windows.

--

Neil Williams