postgresql and business features

Brian dol-sen at telus.net
Sat Apr 16 23:01:21 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-16-04 at 17:03 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Saturday 16 April 2005 4:41 pm, Brian wrote:
> > So far I have found that in entering a new vendor bill that the
> > descriptions have a short term memory.  It is only for the current bill!
> > Rarely would I have to enter the same description twice in the same
> > bill, but would enter the same descriptions for the same vendors
> > regularly.
>
> I have the opposite - I regularly enter exactly the same description for
> consecutive dates in one invoice covering, usually, a week. I find it quite
> useful when "Mileage" pops up just by typing M.

Since the two methods are mutually exclusive, there would have to be a
checkbox/option somewhere to toggle between the two modes of operation.

> However, more useful is an automated way of creating these objects and I'm
> working on that - by importing an XML file that contains the required data.
>
> I'm not too familiar with the auto-fill code already in GnuCash but I think
> this may be able to be used here. Patches are welcome!
>
> > --  This leads up to an inventory module, is it planned?
>
> Not currently.
>
> > The above could be implemented in an xml database for smaller
> > requirements but would be more suitable to a regular database for larger
> > numbers of vendors/items to remember.
>
> Why should it be saved externally at all? If you want that kind of
> functionality, it'd be best to not have to type anything and use the new XML
> to create the invoice / bill for you.

I thought a separate file would make it easier to edit if changes were
made to a supplier product line.  That way the database would not grow
too large if a user had a fairly large number of products they
purchased.

AS for submitting patches,  The only recent coding I have been doing is
in python/pygtk this past year.  I never have actually done any c
coding, although I did study it some, recently I have been studying a
c++ book.  The closest thing to this type of program I coded was
specialized inventory/sales tracking programs that I did in a dbaseII
compatible setup about 17 years ago.  I did start looking thru some of
the code, but it will take some time to figure out where to begin
considering any changes.   Hints are always welcome :) and don't expect
anything quick.  I would rather work on coding some changes, but I have
a mountain of book keeping to catch up on.

--
Brian <dol-sen at telus.net>