lib/libc/strptime.h|c

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Aug 7 13:08:15 EDT 2005

On Sunday 07 August 2005 4:46 pm, David Hampton wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 16:13 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Can someone confirm that GConf is as readily available as Glib and
> > libxml2? (i.e. are there likely to be any systems that could run Glib
> > that could NOT run GConf?)
>
> GConf depends on orbit, libxml2, and gtk.

That is a problem. I want CashUtil to be installable *without* Gtk, hence
GConf stuff in the backend would be a complete deal-breaker - it's either
change the backend or only use QSF.

However, I suppose I should have just checked apt:
Depends: libc6, libdb3, libgconf11, libglib1.2, liboaf0, liborbit0, libpopt0,
libwrap0, libxml1, oaf, zlib1g

The problem there is libgconf11:
libc6, libglib1.2, libgtk1.2 ...

That's not very friendly!
:-(

There is absolutely no reason to lump in the entire Gtk just to set a few
configuration options in the backend. Nothing else needs gconf in the CLI
code so I'll work on removing it from the GnuCash XML v2 backend. Ideas would
be welcome!

I can always use a preprocessor directive if it has to be that way - I'll just
need another way to implement CashUtil configuration. Ponders: .ini files
maybe?
(or did I mean .rc files?)
:-)

> evolution.*  This implies that any distribution that supports gnome is
> guaranteed to have gconf installed.

Not true. It is only guaranteed to support Gconf, not have it installed.

Gconf would be installed *only* if the full Gnome desktop is installed - I've
got systems that run Gnome code that have no X server installed because they
have no graphics cards. So Gtk is not available, Evolution isn't installed
(neither is X) but libxml2, glib and QOF are all installed, along with
PilotQOF, pilot-link and lots of others.

I have systems that run distributions that support Gnome but they don't have
GConf installed - they do have GLib, but not GConf.

Can you imagine trying to install CashUtil on such a system only to find that
a 100k app requires some 20Mb of Gtk/X/font code? Just to set two
configuration options!!!

Gtk is a deal-breaker - anything that depends on Gtk cannot be a dependency of
CashUtil.

--

Neil Williams