64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 9 10:18:48 EST 2005

Volker Englisch <Volker at englisch.us> writes:

> On 12/07/2005 12:14 PM Derek Atkins wrote:
>> No.  Neil is providing the Debian package name, not the library name.
>> The "problem" you will find is that you get g-wrap 1.3.4 but you probably
>> also have gcc-4.0..  This is a "bad" combination in that g-wrap 1.3.4
>> outputs semi-broken code.  You can still get it to work, but you
>> need to turn off certain warnings (or --disable-error-on-warning)
>> to get it to build.  Your other option is to install (by hand)
>> g-wrap 1.9.6.
>
> I build g-wrap 1.9.6 on my 64-bit system but I was wondering if I need
> to do anything special for the 'make install' step.  I'm afraid the
> library might get installed in /usr/lib instead of /usr/lib64 or is this
> all handled by the configure step?
>
> Would it be better to choose an opt-style-install?  How would I need to
> tell Gnucash where to find the new version of g-wrap if I do this?

It's not "make install" that has to be special.  It's "configure".
You need(ed) to configure with some --prefix to not interact with
g-wrap 1.3.4.   HOWEVER, according to Bill if you have g-wrap-devel
then it should be the 64-bit development toolkit.

So one question would be:  why is it trying to load the 32-bit
library if it compiled against the 64-bit library?