64-bit issues, login accounts on an Athlon-64 available.

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 15:46:53 EST 2005

On Friday 09 December 2005 5:20 am, Volker Englisch wrote:
> I build g-wrap 1.9.6 on my 64-bit system but I was wondering if I need
> to do anything special for the 'make install' step.  I'm afraid the
> library might get installed in /usr/lib instead of /usr/lib64 or is this
> all handled by the configure step?

Questions like this are often easiest to answer by loading the Makefile itself
into a text editor - not Makefile.am, sometimes Makefile.in is useful but
things like 'where will this be going' are answered in the Makefile. That in
turn is created from the configure options. Look for prefix and install
related paths.

> Would it be better to choose an opt-style-install?

I thought opt-style-install was the recommended way of building gnucash so
I've always used it. Other developers don't. If it works for you with or
without, stick with what works. I don't use opt-style-install for any other
programs, I stick to using --prefix=/opt/installation/path

> How would I need to
> tell Gnucash where to find the new version of g-wrap if I do this?

Via configure. If configure can find g-wrap, everything else will use the
configure data. If configure cannot find g-wrap, configure will halt.

use ./configure --help to see some of the options and/or environment variables
that affect how configure tries to locate various components.

--

Neil Williams