(OT) Reply-To (was Re: Compile Error)

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Dec 27 06:13:50 EST 2005

Am Dienstag, 27. Dezember 2005 01:42 schrieb Tim Wunder:
> > PS: in the future, PLEASE REPLY TO THE LIST!
>
> Which begs the question... why not set the reply-to header to be the list?

No no no no no. Please don't let this header munging extend to any mailing
list around here. There are good reasons why header munging (i.e. the
changing of the Reply-To) field is discouraged everywhere around. For
example:

 1. there are instances when I really want to answer only the sender, not to
the list;
 2. in all other cases I may want to write to both the sender and the list
(because the list server might be down or might delay my response);
 3. Some senders may want to use the Reply-To field to set an actually
different email address to send a response to; that information is
irrevocably lost.

All three are almost impossible once the Reply-To field has been changed. (Try
it on the -patches list!)

No no no no. Please don't mess with the Reply-To field. I already hate it from
the two times when I replied to the -patches list recently, where I really
only wanted to write to the sender (#1 above). Really don't do this.

This is a problem of social convention, and if the convention is not (yet)
known then there simply isn't a technical solution to the social question.

Christian