Release of GnuCash stable version 1.8.11

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 7 12:44:24 EST 2005

"Stewart V. Wright" <swright at physics.adelaide.edu.au> writes:

> I still have the same problem as with 1.8.10 when making a RPM - there
> is a reference in the .spec file to a rpm package redhat-release.
> This is easy enough to fix, but begs the question - why?

Because the RPM/Spec is designed for Red Hat and the Gnucash RPMs are
always specific to the particular OS/Distro version you build it
against.

> This might be a bigger question than GnuCash, but here goes...
> Why still refer to redhat-release rather than fedora-release?  Do you
> (the developers) want to make it easy to compile on RHEL or do you
> consider that there are more RedHat legacy users than a Fedora base?

Because the RPM/Spec as we distribute it is for Red Hat, not Fedora.
Also the Gnucash 1.8 base release is (still!) RH7.3

> Is this something that Fedora/RedHat should get together and solve
> with a linux-release package (then SuSE, Gentoo and the rest could
> also get involved) listing the desired info?  Is this resolved in FC3?

Wrong venue to discuss this topic.