OFX Importer and Transaction Matcher

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mon Feb 14 00:35:20 EST 2005

> Well, either the matching algorithm needs to get much, much better, or
> there needs to be a way to manually match transactions...

The algrithm is actaully very good in most cases.  Apparently you've hit a
corner case as well as a bug caused by lack of sync between developers (and
my general lack of recent involvement in GnuCash development).

On 2004-10-08, I changed date MATCH_DATE_NOT_THRESHOLD from 3 weeks to two
weeks, and dropped the punishement from -10 to -5 to avoid your very problem.
Checks cashed more than two weeks later is actually a fairly common
occurence.
Unfortunately, on 2004-11-27  Christian changed this check to to a hard limit,
thus removing ANY transaction more than two week apart from consideration, no
matter how well it matches.  It's easy to understand, from what I heard,
checks are mostly extinct in Germany.

Since I didn't do ANY gnucash development since 2004-11-15, I didn't spot it
untill today.  I'll have to discuss with Christian how to best sync up.

Your only solution for now is to downgrade to GnuCash 1.8.9.

> I'll point this out-- in the years I was using Quicken, I don't recall
> that it ever failed to properly automatically match transactions.  I
> understand that the traansaction matcher is probably still in its
> infancy and some paatience is needed.  But my complaint is not simply

Actaully it's quite mature, but you've hit a recently introduced bug.

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/