OFX Importer and Transaction Matcher

Olaf Faaland ofaaland at alamedanet.net
Mon Feb 14 02:45:26 EST 2005

Hi,

Sounds like a painful conversation.

Several months ago, I looked at 2 years of my data (about 1800 transactions).
I think my data is reasonably typical for someone in the US using gnucash
their personal checkbook.  Here is what I found, in case it is of use.

My transactions are about 1/3 checks and about 2/3 debit card transactions.  I
have about 10 transactions/month that are identical to previous months except
for date and check#.  These include some fixed expenses like rent, and some
common non-fixed ones like ATM withdrawals.

For that data, it worked out that $ amount was by far the best matching
element.  After taking out the 240 repetive transactions, the remainder were
almost all unique $ amounts.  There were a number of $ amounts with 2
transactions, but not more than 2-300.  Given a set of two of these dupes,
they tended to be for the same payee, but widely differing dates/check #s.

Description was close to useless for matching, with my data.  My bank (Wells
Fargo) doesn't provide payees for checks in the QIF files, and for debit card
transactions the names stores use for their accounts are often different than
what they have on their storefront.

Date was problematic in my case also - I routinely have checks cashed 1 month
after the date I wrote them.  However this was still the next best matching
element for me, for selecting from multiple repetitive transactions.  Many of
my repetitive transactions have no check# (ATM or auto-draft).

Check# was great for checks, but I have no similar identifying number for any
other transactions.

All that being said, thank you for the generic import.  I cobbled together a
QIF importer using it, and I find it works very well.  Almost all
transactions have already been entered by hand, so the matcher gets heavy
use.

-Olaf