Gnucash and SQL backend - viable?

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 22:19:13 EST 2005

<quote who="Derek Atkins">
> Jose Juan Gonzalez Alonso <jjgonzalez at igalia.com> writes:
>
>> In Wed Jul 2 15:47:30 CDT 2003 Derek Atkins wrote...
>>
>>> The SQL code does not support any of the new-in-1.8 features (which
>>> includes Scheduled Transactions and all the Business Features).  It
>>> is stable otherwise, but it means you cannot use it for a business.
>>> Work is underway to fix the SQL, but it's taking time (the author has
>>> real-life priorities higher than GnuCash -- imagine that!).
>>
>> What about this theme?
>> Is there any work in this direction?
>> How viable it is that another people can collaborate in this sense
>> with the project?
>
> One of the devlopers is actively working on it now.  Check the -devel
> list.  He may respond there to this exact question that just came
> through today.

The code will soon be at a point at which I would trust others to add to
it independently.  I've a bit yet to flesh out (e.g., password dialogs if
needed, more error handling, some other issues) before I'm ready to
release my monster on the world...or on gnucash.  Also I need to
incorporate it into the gnucash source tree--right now I have it building
as a separate module.

--
Matthew Vanecek
except me.