GnuCash Documentation in pdf Format

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Feb 20 10:13:34 EST 2005

On Sunday 20 February 2005 2:31 pm, Michael Wahlbrink wrote:
> I can do that, but the images linked from the document
> http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/gnucash-guide.html
> are not there (thats the reason why they are not in the pdf.....)

:-)

OK  . . . (slight pause for some FTP) . . . they are now!

Seriously, the images are in the gnucash-docs package - that should be your
best way of maintaining these things.

> So, if someone can show me the way to the images there will be also a
> gnucash-guide-with-images.pdf ;-)

If you download gnucash-docs from CVS, then you'll get everything you need -
plus if you run cvs update in that directory once in a while, you'll be told
about any changed files.
http://www.gnucash.org/en/hacking.phtml

cvs -d :pserver:cvs at cvs.gnucash.org:/home/cvs/cvsroot login
The password is "guest"

cvs -d :pserver:cvs at cvs.gnucash.org:/home/cvs/cvsroot checkout gnucash-docs

> > Users should note that these are LARGE files - 1.8Mb and 2.2Mb
> > respectively.

With the images, the guide is going to easily overtake help in size - there
are 99 images! Might be best to think about several separate PDF files -
maybe one per chapter? (15 or so in total). See what size the PDF becomes
when images are available and let me know off list.

I've got no real limitation on space, it's more a question of making it
practical for people to download the file(s).

> > Michael, these are very good, thanks. Are you willing to maintain these?
> > You'd need to monitor changes to gnucash-docs and provide updated copies
> > as and when - especially around release time.
>
> Yes I can do this! But there will be no guarantee for "next-day
> pdf-delivery" ;-).... sometimes it will take till the next weekend.....

No problem.

> Just put me a note when there is new documentation ready to convert....

If you do it via CVS, you'll know when updates are available.

> Are there only the two (or three... if we do pdfs with and without
> images) docs on neils website to monitor or are there some more out
> there.....

We've only had requests for the guide, the help and the design documents in
PDF. The design document I can update myself because it's in LaTeX form and
is updated and built within the main gnucash tree. So yes, it's only
permutations of the two you've done already.

If there were more or if more requests come in, I'll see about giving you
limited FTP access to the server, save emailing me. For now, we'll stick to
email.

--

Neil Williams