GnuCash Documentation in pdf Format

Chris Lyttle chris at wilddev.net
Sun Feb 20 13:31:05 EST 2005

If someone makes it available to me I can put any docs in pdf on the
gnucash website. There is already a place holder in the docs part of the
site (http://www.gnucash.org/en/docs.phtml) so I'd just need to add the
link.

Chris

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 15:13 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > I can do that, but the images linked from the document
> > http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/gnucash-guide.html
> > are not there (thats the reason why they are not in the pdf.....)
>
> :-)
>
> OK  . . . (slight pause for some FTP) . . . they are now!
>
> Seriously, the images are in the gnucash-docs package - that should be your
> best way of maintaining these things.
>
> > So, if someone can show me the way to the images there will be also a
> > gnucash-guide-with-images.pdf ;-)
>
> If you download gnucash-docs from CVS, then you'll get everything you need -
> plus if you run cvs update in that directory once in a while, you'll be told
> about any changed files.
> http://www.gnucash.org/en/hacking.phtml
>
> cvs -d :pserver:cvs at cvs.gnucash.org:/home/cvs/cvsroot login
> The password is "guest"
>
> cvs -d :pserver:cvs at cvs.gnucash.org:/home/cvs/cvsroot checkout gnucash-docs
>
> > > Users should note that these are LARGE files - 1.8Mb and 2.2Mb
> > > respectively.
>
> With the images, the guide is going to easily overtake help in size - there
> are 99 images! Might be best to think about several separate PDF files -
> maybe one per chapter? (15 or so in total). See what size the PDF becomes
> when images are available and let me know off list.
>
> I've got no real limitation on space, it's more a question of making it
> practical for people to download the file(s).
>
> > > Michael, these are very good, thanks. Are you willing to maintain these?
> > > You'd need to monitor changes to gnucash-docs and provide updated copies
> > > as and when - especially around release time.
> >
> > Yes I can do this! But there will be no guarantee for "next-day
> > pdf-delivery" ;-).... sometimes it will take till the next weekend.....
>
> No problem.
>
> > Just put me a note when there is new documentation ready to convert....
>
> If you do it via CVS, you'll know when updates are available.
>
> > Are there only the two (or three... if we do pdfs with and without
> > images) docs on neils website to monitor or are there some more out
> > there.....
>
> We've only had requests for the guide, the help and the design documents in
> PDF. The design document I can update myself because it's in LaTeX form and
> is updated and built within the main gnucash tree. So yes, it's only
> permutations of the two you've done already.
>
> If there were more or if more requests come in, I'll see about giving you
> limited FTP access to the server, save emailing me. For now, we'll stick to
> email.

RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
Checkpoint Certified Security Expert 2000 & NG
        |^|
        | |   |^|
        | |^| | |  Life out here is raw
        | | |^| |  But we will never stop