Format of some XML files

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Feb 24 16:29:44 EST 2005

Hi,

just a short clarification to Derek and the gnucash developers:

Am Donnerstag, 24. Februar 2005 22:00 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> Martin Preuss <aquamaniac at gmx.de> writes:
> > I would also very much prefer libofx to do this (that would spare me of
> > having to write this myself ;-)
>
> Or... you could add the code to libofx.  I'm sure Benoit would love
> the patches and gladly push out a new release.

Martin Preuss already has contributed code to libofx, and Benoit happily
integrated that into his latest 0.7.0 release. So Martin is very well aware
of what is possible with libofx and what is not. It's certainly good to think
about this possibility again, but in this case I think Martin already has
considered it.

On the other hand, the connection between Martin's banking library (aqbanking)
and gnucash is very regularly discussed between him and me (I'm a developer
in his aqbanking project, too), so there is a lot of coordination already
underway.

> > My focus is the interface: Currently AqBanking supports the German HBCI
> > protocol and a paperless exchange backend (German DTAUS). I just added
> > the latter backend and instantly GnuCash is able to create DTAUS discs
> > without changes to the code.
>
> What about MT940?  OpenHBCI used to support that.. ;)

Yes, the importing of MT940 files is something which hasn't yet been added
again to aqbanking, although 95% of the code (especially the necessary
parsers) are already existing in aqbanking. However, the MT940 importer *in
gnucash* always was only included in the HEAD branch, not in the 1-8-branch,
so there hasn't been any public release of the MT940 importer, and therefore
it seemed reasonable to me that it's not that high of a priority to push for
this particular feature. I'm quite convinced that anyone who *wants* to have
that feature would be able to implement it in 3-4 hours.

> Oh, I certainly don't object..  In the end I want to see the
> functionality, regardless of how it's implemented.

Absolutely. And Martin and we are of course glad about any further suggestions
and discussion of these features.

Christian