twiki and moin moin

David Grant david.grant at telus.net
Mon Feb 28 16:05:36 EST 2005

I just scanned through the posts about moin moin vs. twiki. Functionally
they are probably both similar. I'm guessing twiki has more plugins
though. Looks-wise I always thought twiki looked a bit messy/noisy but
that can be fixed by anyone who knows HTML and CSS, or perhaps by
installing a new template.

The major disadvantage of switching away from twiki, is as Jim and
Karsten were talking about, is that the syntax is different between
almost all wikis and also the links will be all screwed up. Someone said
that we haven't invested in anything wiki-specific, and that's not true.
Jim and others have invested a lot of time adding content, and the
content is twiki-specific.

The fact that moin moin is written in python comes up sometimes but it
is a moot point. No one in the gnumed project is interested in
re-writing bits of code for the wiki (I hope). There are so many wiki
projects out there, no need to look at the source code for any of them,
or to modify it. Just find on and use it. If a wiki was written in
COBOL, and if it was the best, then we should use it.

--
David J. Grant
http://www.davidgrant.ca:81