Stock Sales - Balance sheet unbalanced

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 21 10:53:52 EST 2005

David G Hamblen <dhamblen at adelphia.net> writes:

> Hi:
>
> My problem is with the weighted-average computation causing the balance
> sheet to be unbalanced.  I've been seeing this for several years now.  I
> just compiled and installed 1.8.10 and the problem is unchanged. The
> calculation seems to use absolute values when algebraic values should be
> used.  The code in "Advanced Portfolio" gets it right.  The code in the
> files "balance-sheet.scm" and "advanced-portfolio.scm" appears to attack
> the calculation from different directions; so I wouldn't know how to
> modify the code (not knowing scheme).

I'd suggest you first look at the balance sheet report from HEAD (it's
not the same as the report in 1.8).  It may or may not actually get
this right.  Second, the balance sheet probably never use a weighted
average for anything -- it's certainly not correct for determining the
amount of capital put into the commodity, and it wont help you
determine the current value of the commodity, either.