weighted average in Balance Sheet (was: Re: Stock Sales - Balance sheet unbalanced)

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 24 18:55:43 EST 2005

On Jan 24, 2005, at 5:26 PM, Glen Whitney wrote:

[snip]
>  It's frustrating to me because I enter lots of transactions
> concerning mutual funds (for example, the transactions each quarter
> from my
> employer's contributions to TIAA-CREF funds in my 403(b)). In each of
> those
> transactions, a price is entered for the fund. Yet to get the value of
> the
> account updated in the "Total in report currency", I have to
> (redundantly, from
> my point of view) enter those prices in the Price Editor.
  [snip]
All those transactions can be downloaded as OFX and imported (at least
for TIAA-CREF).

The current NAV of the retirement funds is also available for
downloading through Finance::Quote and gnucash's price editor. There
was a special category added to F::Q to handle the pseudo ticker
symbols employed by TIAA-CREF for the non-public retirement fund
options. TIAA-CREF did change the location of their quote engine about
a year ago. There was a change to the F::Q perl module to accommodate
that move. I had to dig the revision out of the F::Q CVS stash. If F::Q
hasn't updated the general release, I could email the perl module to
you, since it is a separate perl module and requires no
compiling/linking. (but it may be perl version sensitive...).

I had a problem with the 1.8.9 ofx imports that I just figured out how
to work around, and that 1.8.10 fixed. So I am still testing the
transaction importing. But I'm pretty sure it works fine now.

I have checked my wife's TIAA-CREF balance frequently of late, and as
long as I'm up to date with the biweekly contributions, the gnucash
balance is within one cent of the value reported by the TIAA-CREF site
any given evening after around 8 when the post that day's NAV's. The
one cent problem I'm still working on. For some reason, even though
each of my gnucash transactions matched the TIAA-CREF summary printed
sheets, I ended up off by 0.001 units in one of the funds. I think I
have a rounding error caused by my failure to get the 'fraction traded'
number right initially in my commodity definitions.

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net