Add new event to differentiate metadata from content modification?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jul 24 17:42:42 EDT 2005

Quoting Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk>:

> On Sunday 24 July 2005 7:57 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > I'm looking at the event subsystem in order to at least fix one
> > particular bug (the account list in the register doesn't notice when
> > accounts are added/removed/modified properly)..  In order to do this I
> > need to differentiate between when an account is modified (Edit
> > Account) versus when an account's contents are modified (transactions
> > added/removed).
>
> GNC_EVENT_MODIFY when this instance is modified (Edit|Account) would make
> sense.

Yea, and this follows the existing "GNC_MODIFY_EVENT means this instance has
changed"...

> The new one could be:
> GNC_EVENT_REFERENCE when any of the references to this instance are
> modified. ?
> or
> GNC_EVENT_CHILD ?
> (but would that infer a need for GNC_EVENT_PARENT?)

I'm not sure "reference" is really right.  When you add a split to an Account, I
don't think it's a changed reference.  I suppose parent or child would work,
but does that term really convey what's going on?

Maybe "GNC_EVENT_MEMBER"?

> Even though it's metadata, GNC_EVENT_META isn't quite ideal, IMHO.

Yea...  I don't think META is correct, either.