On Gnucash, G2, and Architecture

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Tue Jun 7 11:29:56 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:22:53AM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org>:
>
> > Personally, I'd be willing to forgo all the in-dev code (book-closing,
> > lots, budgeting and DB-backend) in order to get the next release out the
> > door, in order to unblock starting those other changes.
>
> I've already given up on the DB backend for the first g2 release..  I think
> book-closing is already there, but I'm not sure.  I also think lots are there,
> but I'm not sure, either.  Budgetting I'm willing to forego, but I'm also
> willing to get it in if that finishes "on time".

Regarding Budgeting: I've been pretty pleased with the state of my
patchset for a couple months now.  The budget system seems stable and
doesn't seem to be missing any essential features.  I'd been holding
off pushing them because they involve more "rearchitecting" than I
think you're comfortable with.  E.g.  Recurrences are intended to
be a much simpler replacement for FreqSpec.

If you'd like, I can email the patchset to -patches.

One TODO is that I haven't looked into what's necessary to make
budgets work with qof-merge stuff.

BTW, my mini-projects at the moment are 1) looking at what's needed to
remove GnomeCanvas from the register.  2) looking at what's needed to
move the execution entry-point from guile to a C main.  But more 1)
than 2).

-chris