On Gnucash, G2, and Architecture

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 8 08:34:10 EDT 2005

Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net> writes:

> BTW, my mini-projects at the moment are 1) looking at what's needed to
> remove GnomeCanvas from the register.  2) looking at what's needed to
> move the execution entry-point from guile to a C main.  But more 1)
> than 2).

I think the simplest way to achieve #2 is to build our own
"/usr/bin/guile" interpreter.  We could even build the various runtime
paths into the binary.  As our binary would use the same libguile as
the rest of the code, it would separate us from the issue of
/usr/bin/guile changing out from under us..  It would also be a start
at fixing the problem as a whole, but it would be an easy first step.

Granted, if we don't expect a guile 1.7 or 1.8 anytime soon then it
might not be an issue.

I'm concerned that your #1 mini-project would cause a lot of code
churn and introduce a lot of potential bugs in the short term.  But
please come up with a design document before you start and we'll see
what you plan to do.  It might be worthwhile to _just fix this_ if the
risk is low and the timeframe is short.  Otherwise I'd prefer to wait
until after the 1.10 release.

And yes, I'm considering g2 to be 1.10, not 2.0.  The file format
hasn't changed, the functionality hasn't (majorly) changed.  And I'd
like to wait until we get the new DB code before moving to "2.0".