Preferences for accounting software

Kaarel kaarel at future.ee
Tue Mar 22 06:21:55 EST 2005

Christian Stimming wrote:

> Again: GTK refers to the presentation layer, too, but it also implies a
> programming language that is suitable for the other layers mentioned
> above. HTML doesn't tell anything about those. You have to throw in more
> technology to tell how you are providing the rest of your application
> when the presentation is in HTML. Some example buzzwords, purely random:
> Java, Javabeans, Tomcat, python, PHP, Apache, Active-X, MySQL, Oracle,
> C++, perl, Microsoft Access, Qt, Gtk+, wxWidgets. :-))))

Indeed I didn't give much information but that was the intention. I
wanted to keep the discussion as broad as possible. Gnucash is not a web
application, it is a standalone software. For a large range of
application nowadays the question often is: should an application be
built on a standalone toolkit or as a web interface. In that sense it
doesn't really matter what particular database I will use or what kind
of language is used to outpud HTML (Perl, Java, PHP etc).

My original thougt was that as this is a GnuCash mailing list, that
there will surely be developers familiar with developing accounting
software. Because this list has extensive knowledge using a standalone
toolkit for an accounting software I thought you can share some
experience. Perhaps you feel sometimes that GnuCash would do better when
using a web interface, or perhaps you can give some good arguments why a
standalone approach is way superior when building an accounting software.

Regards
Kaarel