numbers in words

Morten Cools morten at cools.no
Thu May 5 06:14:47 EDT 2005

Hi again

As far as I've been able to tell, the stuff concerning numbers to words
are hardcoded in number-to-words.scm, so it would require a patch to
change this behavior.

The problem is that this code, as far as I can tell, is based on the
ability to prefix small numbers to bigger numbers in order to generate
multiples of the bigger numbers. E.g. to write 200 with words it
effectively outputs "two" "hundred". As I understand it, you have own
words for 200, 300, etc, that cannot be generated in the aforementioned
manner? Correct me if I am wrong!

The code in question is interpreted, and not compiled, so it should be
possible to alter it without rebuilding Gnucash. However, I assume this
would require replacing word for word the English words with Greek, in
order to not screw up the functionality of the existing code.

So the short answer is, no, it cannot be localized in a trivial manner,
unless the language has the same number-to-word structure as English.

As for rewriting the module, I hardly know anything about Scheme, so I
won't be able to help you there...

Morten