gnucash on Mac 10.4?

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Fri May 13 11:50:07 EDT 2005

On May 13, 2005, at 11:01 AM, Timothy Reaves wrote:

>     Has anyone any news on when we might be able to expect this?

It works already, as long as you're willing to use the unstable
branch of fink (meaning you get to wait for gnucash and its
dependencies to compile from source).

You do have to be careful about some of the dependencies, and the
easiest way to do that is follow the fink website advice to blow the
fink /sw directory structure away and start from scratch in Tiger. I
didn't use that approach, so it is possible to upgrade fink and
gnucash without blowing fink away. But then you need to be sure that
gnome-libs and gtk+ get updated before you compile gnucash.

If you use the Price Editor tool to get quotes from TIAA-CREF, you'll
need to update the Finance::Quote Tiaacref.pm file manually (again).
This will get fixed for real when a new release of Finance::Quote
gets packaged.

I'm not sure the hbci code is Tiger ready yet. I got complaints from
dyld about symbols not being where they were expected. I removed
gnucash-hbci, and then got the error messages that let me know I
still had the old version of gnome-libs. I haven't tried hbci again.
(I'm not in Germany, and I was only thinking of trying the new
capability it has to do some direct OFX connections. I can wait a bit
for that.) The dyld errors look a lot like they're caused by the
dynamic loader bug/incompatibility wrt Tiger's new code.

Meanwhile, gnucash 1.8.11-20 is working fine for me. I've only had it
running for 12 hours, so there are some functions I haven't tried.
But it seems stable to me.

Dave