Using samba share for gnucash files causes data loss

Manfred Usselmann usselmann.m at icg-online.de
Tue May 17 07:28:31 EDT 2005

Hello,

I try to use Gnucash 1.8.9 under Ubuntu (No newer version available,
which is unfortunate because I would like to use HBCI PIN/TAN).

The files are stored on a Samba share which is mounted with fstype cifs.
Wenn I try to open the files I get the error message 'Could not optain
the lock for ...'. When I open the file anyhow it gets deleted during
saving. Creating a new file is not possible as well. Same problem when
using fstype smbfs instead of cifs.

Is there a specific problem with storing the Gnucash files on a Samba
server? A while ago (until mid of 2003) I used this configuration
without problems. Maybe the locking code has been changed?

Is there a way to get this working?

Regards,
Manfred

  Manfred Usselmann                            usselmann.m at icg-online.de