[Fwd: Re: payroll]

Conrad Canterford conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au
Thu May 26 18:33:22 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 09:01 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > Well, those who think so can certainly shell out their money.  I have
> > found that libre software gives me more assurance than commercial;
> > that support help from friends is more reliable than that I pay for;
> > and so forth.
> I can second that as I've watched quickbooks incorrectly compute taxes
> by a significant margin and had friends work out spreadsheets that "just
> work"

Fine. If that works for you, and you're happy with that, great. All I'm
saying is that that is not the case for everyone, and we should be open
to the prospect of paid-for datafiles while at the same time not
requiring them.

In .au there are penalties for getting it wrong (hence my concern that
the data files be accurate), even though in practice the tax office can
claw back any shortfall through the tax return process.

Anyway. I think we're basically in agreement with that.

By the way, the formula types listed do basically match my recollection
of the .au system. If you're doing things strictly accurate, the
formulas are a bit more complicated then that (from memory) but in
practice they match up with this. I'll dig out the appropriate stuff at
some point and double check my memory though, as it has been a few years
since I looked at this.

Note that (as mentioned by other people) there may be a requirement that
the tax amount be rounded to the nearest whole $ amount or (in .au) the
next lowest whole $ amount.

With the interface, I was envisaging something like the standard
register, with perhaps a few extra fields. Not sure how well that will
integrate with g2 as I haven't looked at g2. Also not sure that we'll be
able to meaningfully include that much extra information in the register
format without making it really ugly. But its a thought anyway.

Conrad.