[Fwd: Re: payroll]

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Thu May 26 18:49:35 EDT 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Conrad Canterford wrote:

> In .au there are penalties for getting it wrong (hence my concern that
> the data files be accurate), even though in practice the tax office can
> claw back any shortfall through the tax return process.

I agree with the suggestion that the government *ought* to publish
machine readable tax data at no charge.  Establishing an open format is a
necessary first step in that direction.  Our customers are US importers,
and the US gov publishes quite a bit of machine readable data
necessary to properly file entries.  That trend needs to grow, if
they expect compliance with ever more complex tax codes.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>