Adding a Payroll calculator

Jay Scherrer jay at scherrer.com
Wed Nov 2 23:21:43 EST 2005

>Snip>
On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 17:36 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Yes, exactly.  We need some user-updatable definitions (in particular
> the
> tax tables!) that we can "execute" on employee data.  I think for your
> testing
> you could just create a bunch of arrays or something, but just make
> sure you
> don't make assumptions about how many tax brackets there are or what
> the values
> or rates of those brackets are in the actual computations..
Since I come from a state that doesn't have an income tax (Washington),
I wasn't paying attention. Do you calculate state income tax much like
the federal? Is this why you keep referring to tax tables and brackets?
Because I was referring to tables and classes in the same conjunction as
a database table. If it would help I have a very reliable tax calculator
in case you have already seen partly ( scheduleY1() calculations). This
program figures the Individual income tax using the current IRS Tax
tables by parsing the actual ASCII based file (if needed), or the
schedules X, Y-1, Y-2, and Z if required. This is written in Perl cause
I don't know how to parse ASCII using c. And was created for web based
Tax calculations. If you could use these calculations in the State or US
income tax, let me know. But for now I was concentrating on the Payroll
side of things.

Calculating payroll taxes:
> > Some items for thought: based on 2004
> > Social security is withheld at 6.2% on all employees up to $87,900.
> > Employees are taxed 1.45% on all wages and tip for Medicare.

For the US, the IRS has their own set of rates. (pretty straight
forward) And entered on the form 941.

> Just keep in mind that there are state taxes, local taxes, various
> other deductions (pre-tax and post-tax). We should really generalize
> this out as much as we can.

For the State and local payroll, they have their own rates. These
definitely should need a user defined input.

The end results should consist of these views:
1. Employee time clock. viewed by(employer/employee?)frequency(daily) .
2. Paycheck and stub. viewed by (employee) frequency (pay period).
3. Employer's form 941. viewed by (employer) frequency (Quarterly).
4. form W-2. viewed by (employee) frequency (annually).

And I'll work backwards,
Jay Scherrer