Revision 11540 : AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR breaks on OSX

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Fri Nov 4 15:09:04 EST 2005

On Friday 04 November 2005 8:43 am, Christian Stimming wrote:
> You can safely
> comment out this macro for now and add the comment that it can be
> enabled again once we have autoconf-2.59 i.e. AC_PREREQ(2.59) on all
> platforms.

OK. However, AC_PREREQ(2.59) isn't sufficient to actually call autoconf-2.59
on OSX - config.log reports being generated by 2.57, autoheader fails
(because it's being asked for 2.59 and only finding 2.57) but configure runs
anyway. Yet the workaround is not then needed.
:-(

Confused?

> Which autoconf do you have on OSX?

autoconf itself is 2.57 but I do have autoconf-2.59 that can be called
instead.

> If it's something lower than 2.59,
> then the problem is really only the autoconf version.

I think OSX is trying to ask for 2.57 as the pre_req, yet with AC_PREREQ(2.57)
it then complains about "automake requires AM_CONFIG_HEADER not
AC_CONFIG_HEADER".

I think we'd best stick with what he had!

> We don't need to
> add that macro workaround in that case; we can simply conclude that we
> don't need AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR anyway at this point in time.

OK. That's easier all round.

> Can you please comment this out on trunk and your branch? (I don'T have
> time until next week.) That's surely better than adding yet another
> workaround.

Agreed. I'll commit the change over the weekend.

--

Neil Williams