Radically improve autogen.sh

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sat Nov 5 18:28:31 EST 2005

On Saturday 05 November 2005 10:55 pm, Neil Williams wrote:

> > It's an automake version problem on Debian, not on OSX.
>
> OK, I've got it working on OSX but only with some hacks to the main source
> tree so I'll have to test before I can say if it is buildable on OSX.
>
> AFAICT so far, OSX seems far more picky about warnings and halts the new
> autogen over errors that it previously ignored. This may be a good thing -
> as long as it actually builds!!

I've now got a scheme error in src/engine - I can't run iso-currencies-to-c on
OSX:

GUILE_LOAD_PATH=: srcdir=. ./iso-currencies-to-c
ERROR: no such module (srfi srfi-2)

I suspect this could be a conflict with the installed 1.8 tree that I cannot
(yet) afford to uninstall as it's running my main personal accounts!

Looks like my gnucash development on OSX has met a deadend.

I can't test the changes that allow it to build this far and I can't uninstall
the 1.8 tree because G2 isn't ready yet. It's just too big a gap between 1.8
and G2 - OSX just doesn't seem to able to work with both.
:-((

(If I didn't like guile/Scheme before, you can imagine how I feel now.)

G-wrap/Guile/Scheme don't work, the results are not portable and IMHO there
should be *no* place for such things in src/engine - even to convert the
currencies.

Why can't we simply can't put the C file in SVN and be done with it?

Is it really that impossible to update C for currency changes? It's not as if
iso-4217-currencies.scm can be updated at runtime.

--

Neil Williams