Future of cashutil. (was Re: Radically improve autogen.sh)

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Nov 7 08:22:38 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 11:58 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> But then I can't have a separate po directory. How can gnucash and cashutil be
> packaged separately if they use the same translation files? I also use a
> different manpage system, have vastly reduced numbers of dependencies and
> currently retain the ability to package cashutil as a separate tarball with
> it's own ./configure. Documentation should also be separate, hence
> [branch]/cashutil/doc/doxygen.cfg.in as well as
> [branch]src/doc/doxygen.cfg.in amongst other differences.

If you really want it as a seperate program, then it should be; i.e.,
not in the source tree at all.  Compiles against gnucash headers, loads
gnucash libaries ... is generally independent.

If you do want it part of gnucash, then it needs to be part of gnucash.
But that means you might have larger .po files to process, a more
complex `make dist-cashutil` target, &c.

But this "cashutil is a sub-build in the tree and has copies of gnucash
sources but doesn't load them as a library and it's different but it's
the same" thing is... weird.

[deletia]

> I can't see how this can be done if cashutil is absorbed into the
> gnucash ./configure - if there is a way, I'm happy to use it but I won't
> sacrifice the ability to install cashutil on a system with no Gtk, gconf,

Why can't something like
`./configure --enable-cashutil --disable-gtk-fe [--without-gnome]` work?

...jsled