libqof change - not complete yet.

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Nov 7 11:58:14 EST 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 4:36 pm, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Neil Williams schrieb:
> >>Is there any particular reason the libqof move wasn't /ONE/ changeset?
> >
> > To separate the Makefile.am changes from the simply copying of the files.
> > I didn't want people to have to sift through a >1Mb diff to find what's
> > been changed in configure.in or src/engine/Makefile.am so I committed
> > those first.
>
> Probably a bad idea to begin with. If people want to know the changes in
> Makefile.am, they will use "svn diff Makefile.am".

Well, that's what someone asked for so that's what I tried to do.

> > I couldn't then use svn move because I had to have tested with the files
> > already moved, so I used svn remove and svn add.
>
> No way. The history of files like gnc-numeric.c is waaay too important
> to be lost simply because of some testing inconvenience.

1. It is in QOF
2. lib/libqof will not remain in GnuCash forever - once QOF is fully available
it'll become like glib - just a library that we use.
3. I'll see what happens with the cashutil branch.
4. Right now, I've got more on my mind than the history - the QOF files have
had to come from a backup copy because of the mess with the temporary files.
OK, it's my own fault but I'm trying to fix it. svn is close to CVS but there
are a number of gotchas and I've just dropped into one. Help me out here!

> Please replace
> the newly added files by the "svn move"d files.

I would if I had the originals.
:-(

As I said, my working copy tree was trashed half way through. I have no
originals.

> >>Also, this is why IMHO you should use an lndir tree for builds so that
> >>you don't accidentally add in temp-files.
> >
> > lndir ? Sorry, I don't know what that means.
>
> man lndir. To use it:
>    cd ..
>    mkdir gnucash-build
>    cd gnucash-build
>    lndir ../gnucash

OK, what I should have said was: I don't know what that is supposed to achieve
or how you meant me to use it.

What does it achieve? If it's a good idea, why assume that I know about it?
Shouldn't it be documented somewhere?

These are the problems with the build - which haven't gone away by changing
the technology, the symptoms of the problem have just changed. I don't know
everything, I'm not party to the unwritten conventions of code management and
I make mistakes. Sorry. I'm trying to fix it but I need help with this!

I fouled up, OK? Now please stop shooting me and let's see how to fix it.

--

Neil Williams