libqof change - not complete yet.

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Nov 7 12:23:10 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 16:58 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Probably a bad idea to begin with. If people want to know the changes in
> > Makefile.am, they will use "svn diff Makefile.am".
>
> Well, that's what someone asked for so that's what I tried to do.

Hmm... what was asked for, exactly?

> > > I couldn't then use svn move because I had to have tested with the files
> > > already moved, so I used svn remove and svn add.
> >
> > No way. The history of files like gnc-numeric.c is waaay too important
> > to be lost simply because of some testing inconvenience.
>
> 1. It is in QOF

The important point here is that it's no longer in the *gnucash* source
tree ...  by removing and adding it, we lose the history link; being
able to do `svn log lib/qof/gnc-numeric.c` and get something more
interesting than "created on 11/7/05" should be possible.

> 4. Right now, I've got more on my mind than the history - the QOF files have
> had to come from a backup copy because of the mess with the temporary files.
> OK, it's my own fault but I'm trying to fix it. svn is close to CVS but there
> are a number of gotchas and I've just dropped into one. Help me out here!

It sounds like you should:

* revert all of these changes
* re-migrate the sources (from the backup, using `svn move`, avoiding
  adding temporary files, &c.)
* re-test
* re-commit

I don't know how else to "help", here.  I'm sorry you lost a bunch of
work.  I don't know why you didn't stop and re-start as soon as you ran
into the first problem, but plowed ahead.  I don't know why you didn't
get your WC into the tested state you wanted before committing all the
changes at once.

In any case, we're now in this state.  I think it makes sense to revert
to a clean state, re-do the work and commit it when it's ready.

> As I said, my working copy tree was trashed half way through. I have no
> originals.

:(  Sorry, man.

...jsled