Adding Payroll

Jay Scherrer jay at scherrer.com
Tue Nov 8 16:33:20 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 12:51 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Jay Scherrer <jay at scherrer.com> writes:
>
> > This weekend, working on the simplified payroll calculator, I have found
> > more options and even more questions. For internationalizing I've added
> > sub classes "us" to the payroll and tax structures.
>
> I'm not sure I know what you mean by "subclass"..  We don't want
> to require C-coding to implement taxes in different locales.
> If you mean you added a paramter of "country" to the tax table
> objects, I think that's okay.  :)

That's a better idea. It will also match currency in employee.
This is the framework entities I was working on:  employee, payroll,
tax. And if we are successful in creating a working payroll that has
submission capabilities (quarterly 941, annual  940), we would need to
add a new entity called something like "preparer".  This would allow for
different tax preparers to insert their unique PIN number connected to
the returns filed to the US IRS.

> > However, while investigating the 2005 forms issued from the
> > <http://irs.gov>, I found that we can sign up for e-services developer
> > status, providing the software goes through a series of tests for
> > accuracy. The testing transmission will now use .xsd or XML schema.
> > Right away I began thinking of QSF.
>
> I'm not sure QSF is exactly what you want here...  But something
> /like/ QSF may be appropriate.

I'm still getting used to the GnuCash system. I didn't want to introduce
more then what is needed. libxml will work for the output and parsing,
according to the referanced QSF tutorials. I have included the file
specs from the irs (see below).
> > But the main question, is this an option with the GnuCash developers?
> > This would mean offering the ability to originate and transmit US
> > employer's IRS forms 940 and 941 to start with.
> > For more information:
> > <http://www.irs.gov/efile/index.html> look for e-services , eftps, and
> > e-file.
>
> I think having GnuCash provide online 940 and 941 submission would
> be WAY COOL.  You may just need to plug the schema into libxml2
> (instead of using QSF).  QSF has it's own XML schema which probably
> doesn't map into the IRS tax schema.
>
> > Jay Scherrer
>
> -derek

If we choose to perform these tests and register GnuCash as software
then GnCash will be able to carry the "efile" logo and possibly the next
step to US government acceptance. I am not entirely familiar with this
step.

I have included the link <http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1345.pdf> for
enrollment and description of an e-file software developer status.
So far as I can tell there are no "Federal/State e-file software
developers" on the IRS list at
<http://www.irs.gov/taxpros/providers/article/0,,id=97636,00.html>

I have downloaded the file and test scenarios "final_version_2.4.zip"
from the irs website. I have a hard time finding it again. I can post
the zip file on my website:
<http://jay.scherrer.com/docs/final_version_2.4.zip>

What do you think?

Jay Scherrer