Adding Payroll

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 8 16:38:51 EST 2005

Quoting Jay Scherrer <jay at scherrer.com>:

> That's a better idea. It will also match currency in employee.
> This is the framework entities I was working on:  employee, payroll,
> tax. And if we are successful in creating a working payroll that has
> submission capabilities (quarterly 941, annual  940), we would need to
> add a new entity called something like "preparer".  This would allow for
> different tax preparers to insert their unique PIN number connected to
> the returns filed to the US IRS.

Sure.

> I'm still getting used to the GnuCash system. I didn't want to introduce
> more then what is needed. libxml will work for the output and parsing,
> according to the referanced QSF tutorials. I have included the file
> specs from the irs (see below).

We already depend on libxml2, so it wouldn't add a new dependency
to use it yourself.  OTOH I do like Neil's approach of creating a
generalized XML output and then an XSL translator from the general
output to the specific IRS XML schema.  This way it doesn't require
C coding to add new output formats; it just requires a new XSL template.

The downside of this approach is that it DOES add a new dependency
on libxstl, which we currently do not depend on.