i18n issues: Markup in glade labels?

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sat Nov 12 04:35:39 EST 2005

I'm now starting to review the strings marked for translation (i18n =
internationalization) in gnucash. During this process I'll point out
different issues that would require to change the marked strings in the
gnucash source code.

One issue that I've encountered now is that in HEAD there are many text labels
in glade files where the label text contains Markup. As in:

#: ../src/business/business-gnome/glade/businessprefs.glade.h:1
msgid "<b>Bills</b>"

which is from the glade file
src/business/business-gnome/glade/businessprefs.glade. There are 50 other
such messages. The problem here is that the markup contains no relevant
information to the translator. And the words in itself (without the markup)
are also already translated somewhere in the file -- only the fact that here
it is noted with the HTML markup makes them a second msgid. This is rather a
nuisance to the translators...

The gnome-i18n guide also recommends not to use such messages with markup [1].
Question: Is there any way we could get rid of the markup in the
to-be-translated part of the message? If there is any way, then I would
kindly ask to implement it...

Christian

[1] http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/gnome-i18n/developer.html

Section: Avoid markup wherever possible

(...) In this type of messages, the markup contains no relevant information to
the translator, since all the translatable content is embedded in the markup
(in the last example above, the message could just as well have been split
into two separate messages, so this still applies). Instead, these messages
are just an extra source for errors (when the markup gets accidentally
"mistranslated"), a nuisance, and create lots of extra and totally
unnecessary work for the translators. Whenever the markup for a message
should change the slightest, all translations will have to be updated, even
though no translatable content changed. Whenever a new message is added that
has surrounding markup, even if the exact same message without this exact
markup was translated before, the message will have to be "translated" again.