mac osx and gwenhywfar build (re: how long does gnucash remember --with-ofx-prefix=/opt/libofx?)

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Nov 14 04:56:24 EST 2005

Hi David,

thanks for pointing out this build problem.

David Reiser schrieb:
>>> (gwenhywfar won't build, so I can't even try getting aqbanking up)
>>
>> gwenhywfar doesn't build? Not even the most recent  gwenhywfar-1.19.1?
>> I and Martin Preuss would happily try to fix this.
>
> Making all in test
> if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..   -I/sw/include  -I/sw/include
> -Wall -MT gwentest.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/gwentest.Tpo" -c -o gwentest.o
> gwentest.c; \
> then mv -f ".deps/gwentest.Tpo" ".deps/gwentest.Po"; else rm -f
> ".deps/gwentest.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
> /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc  -I/sw/include -Wall
> -Lsw/lib -o gwentest  gwentest.o -L../src -lgwenhywfar -L../gwenui -lgwenui
> mkdir .libs
> gcc -I/sw/include -Wall -o gwentest gwentest.o  -L/sw/lib -L/Users/
> dbr/Desktop/gwenhywfar-1.19.1/src /sw/lib/libgwenhywfar.dylib -lssl
> -lcrypto -L/Users/dbr/Desktop/gwenhywfar-1.19.1/gwenui /sw/lib/
> libgwenui.dylib /sw/lib/libintl.dylib /sw/lib/libiconv.dylib -lpanel
> -lncurses
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _GWEN_CryptToken_PinEncoding_fromString

Well, the error comes when the included test program is built, so the
library already built correctly.

The linker errors mean that the linker tries to link the (new) test
program against an existing (old) libgwenhywfar which resides in the
directory that is first specified with -L..., i.e. in /sw/lib. The
problem here is that you have been told to set LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib , so
/sw/lib is forced to be searched first, even before the directory ../src
which would pick up the new library. Hm...

A permanent solution is not so easy. A simple workaround for you is: if
you get this error, then hand-edit test/Makefile, look for the string
"-L/sw/lib" and simply delete that string everywhere you find it in this
makefile. Then run make again and everything should build.

Another workaround is to remove/rename the existing
/sw/lib/libgwenhywfar, but we would ask you to test something else
beforehand: Can you try something that might permanently fix this
problem? In the file configure.ac, edit the line 247 which currently reads

           all_libraries="${all_libraries} -lintl"

so that it reads instead

           all_libraries="-L/sw/lib ${all_libraries} -lintl"

and then run "make" again. I hope that all build tools are available so
that ./configure and all Makefiles will be rebuilt correctly.  Then run
./configure again but without the LDFLAGS setting, i.e. make sure that
LDFLAGS is empty.

If the build system rebuild fails with some mysterious error messages
from some weird auto*** program, then as a last resort you can untar the
gwenhywfar tarball again, edit the file ./configure and look for the
original line mentioned above (in my case this is line number 24015 but
this might be different for you), edit it accordingly, and run
./configure again.

If this change works for you then we know how to fix it in the next release.

Regards

Christian