Problem with configure.in, AM_PATH_GWRAP and g-wrap 1.9

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Mon Nov 14 16:41:22 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 21:07 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

> Andreas added these files as a direct result of my bug report.

Debian is not the only distribution with this problem.  It just happens
to be the only one where someone (you) complained loudly enough that the
problem was fixed.  The only reason I can compile with g-wrap 1.9 on FC4
is that I manually made the same edits to my system that Andreas added
to the .deb file.

> They are
> transitional and we NEED to change our build so that it does NOT need either
> of these files.

I've read the bug report again, and I do not see where is it stated that
these files are transitional.

> but only because of the concession granted to us.

And this was stated to the Gnucash developers when/where?

> > Without this file you cannot run configure.
>
> If that were true, then - as Derek pointed out - I would still be complaining
> and I would have been unable to make any commits since the summer!

Andreas added this file to 1.9.6-3 which is why you are still able to
work.  See the end of your bug report, which I also quoted in another
message.

> The problem is that this temporary concession will be removed in the future
> and we NEED to build without either usr/share/aclocal/g-wrap.m4  or
> usr/include/g-wrap-wct.h - these are not required for genuine g-wrap 1.9
> wrappers - as Andreas has stated - and it is up to us to fix our own code.

Where did Andreas state this?  Is there a document anywhere for how to
migrate from g-wrap 1.3 to g-wrap 1.9, or do we simply have to rewrite
everything from scratch using the new 1.9 semantics.

> This is a gnucash problem and it needs fixing in G2. If not, G2's life in
> Debian will be brief.

I'm in the camp that could care less about Debian, but I do want to dtrt
with respect to using g-wrap.  I've read the documentation at
http://www.nongnu.org/g-wrap/manual/index.html and it appears
incomplete.  The page on defining new wrapped types has numerous places
where function names appear by there is no description of where these
functions come from, whether we have to write them or they are
auto-generated, etc.

David