Compile error

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sat Nov 19 16:15:40 EST 2005

On Saturday 19 November 2005 8:25 pm, Vinay Pai wrote:
> I called make as "make CFLAGS=-Wno-error".

Don't do that. Fix the error, don't skirt around it.
(I had the same problem and it caused weeks of problems for everyone.)

> Without it there was a
> warning about uninitialized variable in src/engine.
>
> I'm running Debian Unstable, and my gcc version is 4.0.3.

You probably have the wrong version of g-wrap. apt-get --purge remove g-wrap
1.3 and make sure you have g-wrap 1.9, as per:
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2005-November/014592.html

Briefly:
1. ./autogen.sh && make distclean in the gnucash tree(s) to remove your broken
guile wrapping code. (make clean is NOT sufficient!)
2. PURGE libgwrapguile-dev
3. install libgwrap-runtime0-dev that should bring in most of the dependencies
above. If not, make sure g-wrap and guile-g-wrap get installed.
4. Rebuild gnucash with ALL ERRORS ENABLED.

Compare your output with mine (descriptions shortened):

$ dpkg -l g-wrap
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                      Version                   Description
+++-=========================-=========================-==================================================================
ii  g-wrap                    1.9.6-3                   scripting interface

$ dpkg -l guile*
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                      Version                   Description
+++-=========================-=========================-==================================================================
un  guile                     <none>                    (no description )
ii  guile-1.6                 1.6.7-1.1                 The GNU extension
ii  guile-1.6-dev             1.6.7-1.1                 Development files for
ii  guile-1.6-doc             1.6.7-1.1                 Reference and
ii  guile-1.6-libs            1.6.7-1.1                 Main Guile libraries
ii  guile-1.6-slib            1.6.7-1.1                 Guile SLIB support
ii  guile-common              1.4-26                    Common files for all
pn  guile-db                  <none>                    (no description
un  guile-dev                 <none>                    (no description
un  guile-doc                 <none>                    (no description
ii  guile-g-wrap              1.9.6-3                   scripting interface
un  guile-lib                 <none>                    (no description
ii  guile-library             0.1.2-1                   Library of useful
pn  guile-pg                  <none>                    (no description
pn  guile-www                 <none>                    (no description
un  guile1.3                  <none>                    (no description )
un  guile1.3-doc              <none>                    (no description )
ii  guile1.4                  1.4-26                    The GNU extension
pn  guile1.4-doc              <none>                    (no description )
ii  guile1.4-slib             1.4-26                    SLIB support

$ dpkg -l libgwrap*
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                      Version                   Description
+++-=========================-=========================-==================================================================
ii  libgwrap-runtime0         1.9.6-3                   scripting interface
generator for C - runtime
ii  libgwrap-runtime0-dev     1.9.6-3                   scripting interface
generator for C - development files
pn  libgwrapguile-dev         <none>                    (no description
available)
ii  libgwrapguile1            1.3.4-15                  g-wrap: Tool for
exporting C libraries into Scheme interpreters

Don't worry if some of my installed packages don't show but DO make sure you
don't have any installed that I have shown as uninstalled!

--

Neil Williams