[Gnucash-changes] r12020 - gnucash/trunk - Remove redundant RPC variable

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 22 20:02:27 EST 2005

Quoting Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk>:

> On Wednesday 23 November 2005 12:23 am, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> You removed the configure hook but not the commandline handling.
>> See src/scm/command-line.scm
>
> I'd rather not at the moment. I'll take a look at replacing
> scheme/guile/g-wrap for the startup process in due course - at which point
> the command line options can be redone in C. I'd like to have a real C int
> main (int argc, const char *argv[]) in a binary gnucash executable to load
> the init code, the splash screen, the modules and finally the main window.

Umm, but you've left the code in a state where a user can cause gnucash
to crash because there's a missing symbol!  It's not too hard to remove
the references to gnc:run-rpc-server in the command-line scm file.

Personally we'd be better off in the short run just creating a gnucash
binary in C that just calls the guile interpretter -- so we're not dependent
on /usr/bin/guile being the correct version.  But that still requires
changing command-line.scm.

Please don't be lazy.

> (We did agree a while ago to remove scheme/guile/g-wrap from the actual
> start-up process as well as from the engine. Keep guile where it's useful and
> prune it back elsewhere.)
>
> https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2005-November/014529.html

Yes, we did..  But we did NOT agree that we should add the ability for
users to crash gnucash by giving it command-line arguments that point off
to non-existant functions.  Who knows if we'll get this re-write done in
time for 2.0?  I doubt it.

It's 60 seconds of work to clean this up.  Please do it.