Confusion about use of G2

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Oct 2 15:09:16 EDT 2005

On Sunday 02 October 2005 7:42 pm, Josh Sled wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 14:28 -0400, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> Gnucash currently depends on a copy of QOF which was birthed inside
> gnucash itself.

Yes, originally it was QOF 0.5.0 and is now close to 0.6.0. The remaining
differences are:
qofbackend: Code is almost ready and is currently in testing/use in cashutil
to convert all file backend access from gnc-module to GModule. GModule is
glib-2 dependent. I need to look at how this will fit with the postgres
backend which I don't want to have to change if I can avoid it.

> QOF should become an independent library, which gnucash
> then depends on as any other caller.  The extrication of QOF involves
> changing some facilities at the border of the two.

The largest of which has been done, albeit not as cleanly as intended.

> A good example is the gnc-trace.c-defined logging and module stuff,
> which is presently gnucash-specific, but really should be part of QOF.

That's what has just been changed. The code just committed is no longer
reliant on gnucash in any way. It also caused the majority of gnucash files
to use #include "qof.h" in place of nearly all private QOF headers that will
not be accessible from the library. There is one remaining issue which I've
highlighted with a \todo in the Doxygen output and which I will look at
fixing once the backend is fixed.

> I'm sure that I'm not sure about all of the details of it; perhaps Neil
> can breifly summarize what's left.

The QofBackend to use GModule. I didn't put that in the current patch but it
is working in cashutil. This does need to be fixed because the current mix is
causing error messages when trying to use QSF.

There may well be other smaller issues but I cannot test with the external QOF
library until the backend issue is fixed.

> I don't believe that it relates to
> the G2 port at all.

I agree none of the QOF stuff is related to the GUI port to Gtk2 but it is all
related to the underlying port to glib-2.

The original desire for a G2 port, in my understanding, was to port gnucash to
the gnome2 libraries, not just port the GUI to Gtk2.

--

Neil Williams