Proposals about gnucash-gnome2

Conrad Canterford conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au
Wed Oct 5 19:06:53 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 22:05 +0200, Christian Stimming wrote:
> An interesting side-effect of a 1.8.12 release is that we as a developer team
> communicate the fact that we're alive and active and caring about the users,
> all the while such a release is technically quite easy for us. And of course
> the respective announcement can be used to communicate the active gnome2
> progress.

For what its worth, from my perspective I have to say I agree with all
Christian's points. I think a 1.8.12 release is worthwhile to show that
things are still happening. I think a 1.10/2.0 release should be a
urgent priority. I'd like a target for the end of this year if at all
possible (OK, so maybe that's not realistic, but I can hope), even
though that means new stuff that we'd like to happen won't go into the
release. Splitting the CVS into a gnome-2 (version 1.10?) tree and a
future feature release (version 2.0?) tree seems like a good idea.

There is no reason why the proposed version 2.0 can not be released a
couple of months after 1.10. After all its not as though we have paying
customers who are going to get pissed off at paying for upgrades every 6
months. We do, however, have people who are losing faith in gnucash
because development appears to have slowed to a crawl in the last few
years. I think more, "smaller" releases are preferable to one or two
huge ones. Not the least because I know from prior experience that the
huge releases will also have huge numbers of bugs.

Also, can I remind people that we will need *at least* a months worth of
pre-releases for testing before the actual release. That's if I and
other testers get seriously into the testing and hammer it fairly hard.
I'd think 6 to 8 weeks would be more realistic. When thinking of when
the release is going to happen, add that time on. We're dealing with
peoples financial data here, nothing is going to destroy our reputation
quicker than releasing code that screws things up.

Conrad
Eagerly anticipating some serious pre-release testing real soon now.